Monday, February 22, 2010

Flight Chronicles Vol I 022210

Flight Log I
Skydate:
February 20th, 2010
Instructor: Josef Joebstl
Student(s): Mistress of the Sky, Rainmaker



We, each, logged in approximately forty (40) minutes today. Our original flight training area was difficult to access due to the rain. We climb up this embankment to reach the “airfield” but the rains made it too muddy to climb. Shoot, a few weekends ago, Andrew slid, ever-so-gracefully, down what should be a GRASSY knoll. It was so graceful, no one laughed. Cheers!




Private Log:

We were scheduled to arrive at 10am Saturday morning but I wanted breakfast so, being designated driver this time around, I picked up the man and we went to Harbor House CafĂ© in Shoreline. It’s a long road from Long Beach to Moorpark, U.S.A. True. But, roadtrips with good company, a full tank of gas and a great iPod playlist make it darn near pleasant. So, we get there nearly an hour early and wait. Luckily, I brought along my yarn and crochet hooks- I worked on an orange beanie while the man slept…


Josef arrives a half hour early and opens up the shop. Yay! I can’t say what it is but there’s something about shiny metal that fascinates me. I let the guys get to work while I started taking pictures. Running your own business is no walk in the park. There’s no doubt about that. Thankfully, Josef enjoys what he does. He’s happy working in his shop. Andrew enjoys working on his baby- I wonder if he’s gonna name the Mongoose. I would. I’d call it Orion. I might have to change my color scheme…

I watch as Josef makes parts and Andrew looks for others. I am beginning to understand and appreciate all the labor and expertise that goes into the making of one of these amazing mechanical wonders. The smile they bring to my face, there’s a signature on someone’s RunRyder that says I’ll be forever looking to the sky now that I’ve experienced “flight”. Sad. True. And beautiful.

Flight Log: Part I (cont’d)

Near lunch time, we go out for pizza. Josef foots the bill and waits for us at the airfield. There were fewer people there than last weekend. Cool!

Andrew had to run grab something, so Josef hollers, “Lisa, you get to go first!” Uh. No. It’s alright. Really. Shoot…

I strap on the harness and hook up the transmitter. Have I mentioned how cumbersome that harness thing is? Those harnesses aren’t unisex sizes – 1) women have breasts and 2) mostly men fly these things. “You ready?” Ohmigod. I relax and holler back “Yeah!” Now, keep in mind, I had no practice on the simulator. I won’t crash because Josef can take control any time. What I do, is try to imagine it’s just me and the Mongoose. Me. The Mongoose. And the sky. I try to imagine it’s all me.


I hadn’t taken off the ground yet, only on the simulator, so Josef lifts off and hovers at about five feet then lets me go. Wow…what a feeling! It’s not real- the power. Sure, I’m controlling it but I’M not flying and yet, I feel like a hawk. Every so often, the fact that I’m actually controlling its every movement escapes me and instinct takes over. That automatic maneuvering. Autopilot? Some of it is becoming second nature. Now if I could just keep the thing from flying off into the distance…

Andrew has his turn. Verg shows up. Joey too! I was over the fact I’d be the only woman by my first post on RunRyder. We’re just friends who gathered to play. Verg, it seems, is the master of “nose in landing”. I think I got that right.

My third session, after refueling and taking turns with Andrew and Verg, Josef lets me lift off. Let me tell you: it’s not as easy as it looks on the frickin’ simulator. The simulator is more forgiving. I have a go at it. The first few attempts have me rolling quickly to the right or left. The third or fourth time, I got it right. Ssshhh…I just cranked it. There was no deliberation on my part. I was frustrated. I was anxious but determined. So, I pushed hard but it must have been steady enough to take off noticeably smoother.

TERMS:

FPV
torque
belt sander
Futaba
collective
pitch
roll
heading
servo

Private Log (cont’d):

Even Josef complimented me on that final lift-off. I really didn’t have the heart to tell him it was an accident. Have I mentioned what a wonderful instructor he is? And Andrew is a patient man to deal with my learning style. They’re wonderful men and if I haven’t thanked them for giving me wings, I’ll be sure to the next time we get together. The belt sander was cool. And there are metal shavings all over the floor of the Airstar shop. They sparkle like mirrors in the sun. The shop is a happy place!

No comments:

Post a Comment