Tuesday, February 16, 2010

RC Flying


A few months ago I went to an RC convention in Ontario, CA with one of my best friends. Something to do, I guess- I wasn’t in the market. We wound up hovering around the glider section and this red Habicht caught my eye. He bought a Discus. I couldn’t get over the fact there was an actual convention dedicated to this stuff and I started taking pictures. They were all beautiful. In the weeks that followed, we went to scout locations in Palos Verdes.

My friend let me try out his simulator he uses to practice for flying his Mongoose up in Moorpark. It was a little dull but if I was ever going to fly my own I’d need to at least learn to hover. (Close to the ground!) He took me with him to fly since I had expressed an interest. Apparently, a bunch of guys gather there on any given weekend to play. There were no other women in sight- at least, not on the field. There was one sitting in a car looking bored out of her mind.

Call it beginner’s luck but I took to flying immediately, met the owner of Airstar AND wound up training with him. Talk about a crash course in RC everything! The simulator did not prepare me for the rush! How can someone put into words the joy of discovery, the fear of failure and the tension of being an amateur in a group of seasoned men? I might have looked out of my element, being the only woman in a group of men, but I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face. I was hooked. The last toy I had was a Malibu Barbie. I’m not ready to fly solo just yet and it’s a strange dream for a girl to have but that didn’t stop Amelia Earhart. All I want to know is- when I am proficient on the simulator and the Airstar instructor tells me I’m ready- can I get one in hot pink? Might be the first!

I've been to the shop and I'm not surprised to see there are no hot pink selections. (Houston, we have a problem.) Watching the machinist and my guy piece one together is amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment